Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lost Chance

I am a Doug Flutie fan. I will pause a few seconds for all of you people to laugh…………………………. I played a little football in high school, and Flutie was lighting up the college ranks at the time. He was a quarterback, and so was I. He was short for the position, and so was I. All of that added up to him being my favorite player, and I have followed him since.

I had a chance to meet Doug Flutie once. It was a small chance, but the moment was there. We were in Disney World. My wife and I took Kristin when she was 11 or so. We were walking through the park, and my wife had to go to the ladies room, so I took Kris over to get some ice cream. We were standing in line, when I looked over, and there was my sports hero. He was getting ice cream as well. There were no other people around. This was my chance. I asked Kris for her autograph book. You know the one where all the characters sign. “ Kris, give me your book and a pen.” She said, “why who do you see?” I said, “just give it to me, and stay right here.” She said a little more forcefully, “John, who do you see, is it Goofy or Mickey?” I was getting a little nervous about him leaving so I said, “Kristin, it is Doug Flutie, and I want to get his autograph.” And this is where my chance disappeared. She yelled, “DOUG FLUTIE, Who is DOUG FLUTIE?”

He turned and looked me right in the eyes, with that, Oh Shit; I’ve been recognized look. As I am fumbling to find a pen, a crowd of people starts forming around Doug. He signs some autographs, and is chatting it up with the people. I can’t get in close enough. I was ten feet away, with no obstructions, until Kris spoke up, and now I can’t get near him. He politely says that he has to go, and just wants to enjoy the day with his family. The crowd lets him leave, and off he goes. I spotted him out, and yet I got nothing.

So my wife comes out and I am distraught. She laughs when I tell her that Kristin ruined my chance to meet my sports hero. I took a picture of Doug as he walked away. I still have it in our photo album. There are pictures of Goofy, and Cinderella, and Mickey, and Doug Flutie’s back. Here we are, some 11 years later, and I still hear those words. “Doug Flutie? Who is Doug Flutie?”

9 Comments:

Blogger Peanutt said...

Love the fact that you kept the picture of his back along with the pictures of Mickey!!! What a priceless memory!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the time, William (Billy)turned off the television during the Miami game, speaking earlier of Big A-Holes. That could of been the time William (Billy) was the Big one.

8:33 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Oh so Doug Flutie was in Disney World because he just won the super bowl?....Oh that's right he never could get to the big game. For that matter was he ever in an NFL playoff game?

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tinkerbell was small for her position too. At least your daughter didn't ask if that was sleepy or bashful.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Doug grew up a couple towns over from me so we followed him all through BC and his NFL career. Looks like he's going to retire here as well? Anyway that SUCKS that you missed him.

Oh and my husband speaks of him as William does but my side of the family loves him.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Kelsgarden said...

of course, the photo of his back and this story is WAY better than had you actually quietly got his autograph . . .

7:39 PM  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I have had several opportunities to meet Mr.Fultie and he was quite pleasant. My husband however, says I never really grasped the importance of such opportunities. That I never understood that greatness was before me. He's right. But I did understand a good tushie when I saw it.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He did look pretty good from the back, even if he had a mullet.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good job kristin
i think that you liking doug flutie is pathetic

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here