Monday, May 01, 2006

Sorry, no Charlie

I like chips. Potato chips. I can’t help that I like them, I just do. If there is a snack that I prefer over all snacks, it is chips. My fondness for chips usually goes hand in hand with dip, but it is not an absolute necessity. If we have just plain old chips, then I definitely need some dip, but if we have a flavored chip of some sort, I can get by on chips alone. I realize that there are many more options out there. I am constantly told to have some popcorn or something. Have some pretzels, or some tortilla chips and salsa. They all sound like fine options, but they are not chips and dip. I do not find them to be a satisfying snack item. After eating one of the ‘others’ I am not snack satisfied. I understand that they are healthier options, but the plain idea of snacking at night is not a healthy habit. So, if I am going to be unhealthy eating pretzels at 9:00 pm; I may as well be unhealthy eating something that I enjoy at 9:00 pm.

When I was young I vaguely remember the Charlie Chips guy. This guy was the ultimate delivery guy. He delivered chips. Today, this guy would be my hero. It is a pretty safe bet that I would have this guy at my house everyday. He would deliver fresh chips everyday, and I would get the milkman to deliver sour cream. I would have my snack each day, delivered. Nowadays I have to rely on my wife to get me chips and dip. I can tell by the grocery shopping whether she is mad at me or not. If she comes home and there are two bags of chips, then I know all is well. If she comes home and there are no chips, then I know I may be in trouble. If she comes home and there are no chips, but there is sour cream, then she is just torturing me. That’s not fair really. Last night was one of those nights. There is sour cream, so I can make some dip, but there are no chips. She says to have pretzels and dip. I say; what did I do now? Chips and dip, are like cookies and milk. You don’t replace your milk with soda, and dip the cookies into it. So I ain’t dipping pretzels into dip. Oh, Charlie Chips guy, where have you gone?

11 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

Great analogy, Lawn Whisper, with the cookies and soda. Yuck! That hit your point home!

9:40 AM  
Blogger RVVagabond said...

Charles Chips-oh yeah! I remember the young lady who would call the house to ask if you had an order that week. After you answered the phone she'd say " Charles Chi-ips, do you have an order this week?" in a breathy, sexy tone. Now at the time I was a smart-alecky 12 year old and I finally had enough of the voice so I cooed back in an equally breathy, sexy tone "oh yes, a can of chips AND a can of pretzels, pleeaaaasseeeee." Strangely enough, from there on out her calls were all made in an abrupt, business-like tone. Mom never could understand my shit-eatin' grin every order after that.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie Chip guy would leave cans with broken chips on my door.

Uncle Bud

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

He really isnt around anymore. Wow I thought they still were. I remember them growing up but my mom was a health nut so I had to go to my aunts because she had them delivered!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never heard of the Charlie Chips guy. I probably just lived in the wrong area. But I get ya about the chips. Gotta love the chips.

Oh-- and just to be ornery-- Why don't YOU buy the groceries? Then you'd be gauranteed to have chips. *grin*

-n

1:53 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I heard of the Charlie Chips guy. He is your father. Now it all makes sense. A little Salty, crisp, easily breakable likes dip. You are chip off the old block.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Boy did I ever live in the wrong neighborhood. We had Earl the egg man...he was creepy! REALLY creepy! UGH...just had a bad flashoback! Stacie

12:02 AM  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

Too bad about the chips guy. At least the Schwanns Ice Cream guy is still delivering.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

Hey, LW, you are in luck! The Charles Chips guy is still around - he just moved to the internet. Charles Chips

Now you can get your chips delivered every day - won't your wife love that?!?!

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a comment but now all I can picture is the yellow and orange Stacie being stalked by Earl the egg guy

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you did not refer to the chip guy as Skip. After all who would want to be called Charlie.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here