Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Solo on Solo

I knew that it would happen. I knew it would happen, but I did it anyway. I knew that some day I would have to explain myself, and that day has come. I told my son that Han Solo’s real name was Kyle Solo. I did this to avoid a major meltdown in the middle of the toy store. I did this a long time ago, and at the time it was a thing of beauty. I have posted about the event in the past, and was enamored with myself for my quick thinking and wisdom. I found my ability to improvise and adapt to be uncanny. Now I think, the jig may be up.

Kyle and Luke were just getting into Star Wars when I lied to him about Solo’s name. I never really thought that they would really get into Star Wars at the time; I just thought it was a fad. Now they play the Star Wars video games, and they watch the movies. They know more characters than I do. It is fun to watch how into it they get, but now I am caught. The other day Kyle walked up to me and said, “Dad, is Han Solo’s real name Kyle, or not?” I was a little puzzled at the question, but I looked up and said, “Yeah buddy, why do you ask?” He got a bit miffed, and put an angry look on his face and replied, “Well dad, you are the only person that I have ever heard call him Kyle. I have watched the movies and played the games, and nobody has ever called him Kyle. Did you make it up? Is his name Kyle Solo, or not?”

Now, I have been called on the carpet before. I have been pushed into a corner. I have been in these types of situations before, but never by a cute little 6 year old. He wanted an answer, and he wanted it at that very moment. I started thinking about telling him the truth. If I tell him the truth I can end this charade right now. He will be devastated, and he will hate me for a while, but he will get over it. He will ultimately come to terms with the fact that he does not have a namesake in the Star Wars saga. Or I can let the lie linger for a little while longer. I am sure that I can milk this for a few more months. He is not really talking to his friends about Star Wars yet. That is when the real problems will occur. Friends ruin everything, don’t they?

I was at a crossroads. I had to think, and I had to think fast. I had a decision to make that will impact me sometime in the near future. I decided that I have to do the right thing, so I let the lie linger. Yeah, and when his friends finally reveal that Han Solo’s real name is Han, I will tell Kyle that his friends are lying. “They don’t know what they are talking about.” I will say.

13 Comments:

Blogger WILLIAM said...

You could always tell him that Chewbacca's middle name is Kyle.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's all hope Luke doesn't ask the "big" question...

Dad are YOU my father?

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kyle knows! He's just playing along with you. He will have the last laugh!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look like Chewbacca and you smell like him too.

8:25 PM  
Blogger jen said...

LOL When I was reading the post, I though, "Keep lying!" Good job, LW! You're genius never ceases to amaze me.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is probably the best lie I've heard all day.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Yeah, I would've done the same thing, but just so you know, this one will come back to bite you on the @$$. Trust me.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats that smell? Oh that is your pants on fire.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid my nana told me she had swum the English Channel and had been in the circus. She wasn't senile, she was just f*cking with me. I didn't really question these stories until I was around 20. Duped. Kyle will use the force against you one day.

10:59 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Hopefully Kyle won't go to the Dark Side now.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully we will get a new post soon!!!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

You are so busted.
He'll never forgive you or worse...
He'll never believe you again.
Tell him you lied and he may just respect you for telling the truth this time. The damage may be done and he may just have to resign to the fact his dad does not know everything.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Ok ok ok I've got the perfect thing to tell him...
"Youre name is not really Kyle"

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here