Monday, November 13, 2006

Sticks and Stones

We were sitting in the back yard enjoying the nice day. The boys were playing like boys do. They were rough, and rambunctious. Every once in a while Vicki or I would have to jump in and separate them from each other, but for the most part things were fine.

The game of tackle football had ended, and without me noticing at first, a rock-throwing contest broke out. First they were throwing our decorative rock for distance. At some point in the contest, accuracy was an added feature. Then, finally, like most of my boy’s games go, they were playing war with them. They were throwing rocks at each other. I stepped in, and broke up the rock battle. They were a little upset at me for stopping them, but I had to let them know it was not safe.

While I was trying to stop the rock war, Luke dropped all of his ammunition, and turned to walk away. Kyle was a little slower in giving up his weapons. He wanted to go back to throwing them for distance. As I was explaining to him that he had better drop the rocks, he looked at me, and dropped all but one. That last one went into the back of Luke’s head. So, Luke started crying, Kyle got sent to his room. Vicki went in to talk to Kyle about his left-handed fastball, and I was left to console Luke. I managed to get Luke to calm down, and he had a minor bump on his head, but was fine.

After a while, Kyle was allowed out of solitary confinement. When he did come out, I asked him what he had to say to his brother. I was expecting an apology. I wanted him to say he was sorry for using Luke’s noggin as target practice. I said, “Kyle, what you did was not nice. You should know better than to throw rocks at your little brother. Now what do you have to say to Luke?” He looked at me, then he looked at Luke and he said, “Luke, you’re slow, you should have ducked faster.”

Now, how do you parent that?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny , in his eyes I am sure that is how he viewed it!

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have noticed that Luke's ducking skills have been a little slow... AND no eyes in the back of his head either.

4:02 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I am surprised that Luke actually dropped all of his Ammo.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know that Braveheart is in my top three. Luke throws the big stone and misses... Kyle throws the little stone.


Outlawed tunes on Outlawed pipes

6:01 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

That is hilarious! I thought this whole thing was going in a completely different direction though...I can't beleive you didn't say anything about the rocks in the lawn...they really wreak havok on the mower blades and all...

stacie

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here