Friday, March 10, 2006

Father-in-Law

My father-in-law is a pretty good dude. Him and I get along very well. We have similar interests. We both like to golf. We both like to work, and we are both wise-asses. He is much more of a wise-ass than I am. As a matter of fact, I think the only things he says are wise cracks. It does not matter the time or place, he has something smart to say about anything.

Here is an example. I was going to his house to ask for his blessing to marry his daughter. I get there, and it is only he and I in the family room. He offers me a beer, and we sit down and watch golf. I am a nervous wreck. I am trying to build up the courage to ask him, but am too much of a chicken. He absolutely knows why I am there, cause I had never just sat there and watched golf with him before. He does nothing to ease my mind. He just keeps getting me another beer. It takes nearly a six-pack for me to muster up the courage to ask the question.

I go through this big speech about how I love Vicki and Kristin. I use every possible cliché, and catch phrase to get his attention and support. And then I go into this:
“Ummm, I don’t know if I am supposed to ask you for your blessing, or if I am supposed to ask you for your permission, but I would like to marry Vicki.”
He says, “ How about you ask me for my condolences.”

See, wise ass. I am sitting there sweating this thing out, and I am half drunk by the time the question comes out of me, and he says that. He’s funny like that. Anyway, he is having surgery on Monday, and I was thinking about him, so I wrote my favorite story about him. He is still a wise ass though.

13 Comments:

Blogger Odd Mix said...

I hope all goes well with your Wise-Ass-In-Law's surgery.

3:48 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Was he at least offering you good beer?

I hope all goes well for him.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kelsgarden said...

yeah, my DH keeps telling my dad "you have to like me, I'm the only one who hasn't returned one of your kids"

5:33 PM  
Blogger jen said...

What a great story! You'd think you'd only hear a line like that on tv. I hope he has a successfully surgery and speedy recovery!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

When my husband asked my dad for his blessing, he got up, burped and picked the underwear out of his ass crack. I'm thinking you got the better deal.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sence of humor is a must! Your FIL definitely has one. The ice was broken that day, and now you are friends. How good is that? May his surgery be a success and may you be the one to help him through it with YOUR humor. Laughter is the best medicine! (second time I said that today)

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Father in Law has always made me feel welcome and part of his family. I am surprised that he made you sweat it out. Then again.. I wasn't sleeping with his daughter. I will say some prayers. He is a good man.

10:09 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Aw I'll keep him in my thoughts and I hope everything turns out ok.

It's good that he has a sense of humor, cause maybe when your wifey gets angry at you and tells her daddy what you did-he'll find humor in it all. You know, instead of bringing the shotgun. *lock and load*

11:09 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

OMG! I LOVE that story! I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers! Stacie

12:40 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

That's the best - what a good story. I'll be thinking of him too.

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are lucky enough to experience his sense of humor it means he likes you. He could be on Comedy Central after what I put him through; so I know he really loves me, and I love him too!

11:02 AM  
Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

that was hilarious! i suggested to my hubby that we renew our vows and he said if someone slits their throat once and lives to talk about it why would they do it again. wise asses! gotta love them!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my now husband went to my father for the same reason, he said "I'd like to ask for your daughters hand in marriage." And my dad said... "Which hand?"

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here