Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It's Either Me, or The Wicker

The storm appeared out of nowhere. It was sunny and clear, and in what felt like 5 seconds, it looked ominous. The wind picked up, and lightning was striking from all directions. My wife called out to me that she thought that it looked like a tornado was coming. This freaked the kids out, and had us in a scramble. Now, I have never seen a tornado, but I have seen enough episodes of Storm Stories on The Weather Channel to know what one looks like. I will say, that it was pretty scary. This was one of those storms that have your kids totally beside themselves. They want you to hold them, and comfort them. They won’t let you leave their side. This is a very difficult task for a guy like me. How the hell am I supposed to hold and comfort Luke, while I am curled up in the fetal position, behind the sofa, and sucking my thumb?

The winds got up there in speed. Trees in the back yard were bending at 90-degree angles. The rain was just starting to fall. There were potted plants flying into the neighbors yard. I did not see any flying cows, but the wind was wicked. I was just getting everything situated, when I heard this, “Oh my god, my wicker table. You have to go get it. It will blow over and break, you can’t leave it out there.”

In my head, just before she said that, I was already writing my thank you note to the storm.

Dear Storm,

Thank you for breaking that wicker set that my wife bought. I am not a big fan of wicker, and because of your destruction, I am now able to go buy something more comfortable. I will be forever indebted to you…

Then Vick interrupted with her statement. I responded to her, almost in disbelief, “You want me to go out there in this, and move the wicker table into the garage?” She said yes. Now, it came down to me being struck by lightning, or the wicker table being broken, and she chose the safety of the wicker table. Where does that leave me in her order of important things in life? The only saving grace in this incident is that I realize now, that I may not be last. Cause after she yelled for me to go out there she said, “Kristin, you go help him.” So, my daughter and I braved the storm and moved that damn table inside.

We lost power for 12 hours. Our entire town was out for most of the next day. The company that I work for was out for the entire next day, and is still out at this very point. The boys seem to be ok, although they were pretty scared. The wicker table is resting comfortably in the garage. Kristin and I are ok for now. We both now know where we stand. I think she still ranks ahead of me on my wife’s list, but it was never so close before. I’m gaining ground. I may not be last for much longer. Thank you storm, for showing me the light.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Oklahoma where tornados are common from March to November, but I can totally appreciate curling into the fetal position, sucking on your thumb....

How did your lawn fare, is it ok?..lol..

6:09 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

that damn wicker again, it's evil. that's a shame LW that you are at the bottom of the totem pole.

As the storm blows, my boss, who lives near Valley Forge, might not have electricity until Sunday. He always gets clobbered when there's a bad storm. It's crazy.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Yikes, Your nicer than me, I'd have held the kids and made her go for it! (sorry Vicki,:) I'm not a fan of wicker either) Glad you're all ok over there...it got nasty out here in CT too...
Stacie

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever know that you're my Hero? You are the wind beneath my wings! To the world, you may be just another Man, but to me L.W., you are the world! So brave you were to go out in that storm! It was scary! Hale, the size of golf balls! I thought the windows were all breaking. You are my Rocky, my Arnold, my Clark, my Bruce, my Peter. You are courageous and strong!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't tell William that I said all those things!

9:27 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Well, at least it might have blown away some of the voles and rabbits, right? (you can hope)

11:44 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

As much as I enjoyed this story I am a little annoyed at Momo9's comments.

Her Rocky? I thought Rocky was the the mailman and the person I am supposed to call Dad. You are her Peter? That is itself if strange. I am sure glad that Jimmy didn't start a blog because then neither LW nor Poop and Boogies would get any comments.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LW,

You got big balls to go out there in that storm.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I would have let the wicker blow away, at least you would have been rid of it for awhile. Well till she made you and the kids search the neighborhood for it.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time...

Jump on top of your wife claiming "I'll save you!!" At least you will get a little bump and grind out of the deal.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they are my choices?I choose the wicker

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your power on yet?

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I read this blog and the writing is so good and makes me laugh and I ask myself, who is a better writer, LW or Mr. P & B.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Peanutt said...

I'm sure you'll lose ground once you figure out how to destroy the wicker furniture!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Lowa said...

I am shocked that you went out and got that wicker. There is NO WAY my husband would have done that!

That was funny about you in the fetal position, sucking your thumb:) LOL

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
»

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here