Thursday, August 24, 2006

Wishful Thinking

While on vacation last week, we went to a place for lunch. Kyle and Luke were a bit antsy, and my nerves were fraying. Vicki’s nerves were already shot, so I had to do something to calm the kids down. We were sitting out on the deck of the restaurant, and over the rail was a well with a little pond. I had a bunch of change in my pocket, so I got the boys to come over and make some wishes.

I gave them both a handful of change so that they could throw the money into the well and make a wish. Kyle was not happy about it. He said, “Dad, this doesn’t work. Wishes don’t come true.” I talked him into making a few wishes and explained that he had to be a believer. Luke was all fired up about being able to make some wishes, and told me multiple times that he is indeed a believer. I finally convinced Kyle to just make some wishes, and see what happens.

So the boys start tossing the change in and making some wishes. I overheard one of Kyle’s wishes. He wished that we had two kinds of ice cream in the freezer when we got home from vacation. I called Kristin later on that day and asked her to go buy this ice cream and make sure it was there when we got back. I was going to make a believer out of Kyle. Sometimes I am so smart that it kills me. This was easily one of my brightest parenting moves to date. It was so easy.

We get home from vacation and after a while, we show Kyle the freezer. He saw the ice cream and got all excited. “Oh my god, one of my wishes came true. Luke, Luke, wishes do come true. I wished for ice cream, and we have it in the freezer.” With this Luke jumps up and starts running down the basement. I say, “Hey, where are you running off to?” He is going so fast that he is tripping over his own feet and he says, “I wished for a pinball machine, I want to go see it.”

Shit, the plan backfired. Now I have to explain to Luke why his wish did not come true, but Kyle’s did. Trying to explain such nonsense to a five year old is impossible. I managed to turn Kyle into a believer, but also managed to turn Luke into a nonbeliever. Luke is not only mad that his wish did not come true, but he wants his money back. He wants me to take him back to the well so that he can get his dimes. Me, I wish I never took them to the damn wishing well in the first place, but I am enjoying having the ice cream in the house.

15 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Blockhead said...

Hilarious!! You at least can get an "A" for effort.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke should have been named Tommy

7:38 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

If I were you, I would go get the pinball machine.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to second Bill's suggestion...go get that pinball machine..pronto!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what is really funny. I saw you run to the bedroom when you got home from vacation after your wishes.

1:42 PM  
Blogger The Cluck Wagon said...

Priceless!! But yeah, listen to your brother and get the pinball machine. ;)

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice try!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

I just came from William's. So Max thinks you're number one? What is it about your comments that make me laugh so hard?

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You HAVE to get the pinball machine. You can't mess with the boy's emotions like that...LW...be the Pinball Wizzard!

8:14 PM  
Blogger jen said...

This is a funny story, LawnWhisper. Hilarious!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My one of many wishes for you is that you learn to love and be loved, those wishes came true. Now go get the pinball machine!!!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

"this one...this one right here (holds up coin) this was MY wish, MY dream...and it didn't come true, so I'm taking it back...I'm taking them ALL back" Goonies quote...

This was too funny, poor kid...did you explain to him that sometimes the bigger wishes take longer to come true? Maybe walmart has one of those pocket pinball machines for about $5???
Good luck
stacie

6:40 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Stacie just quoted the Goonies. Hah.

I went to the wishing well last night and I wished for Lawnwhisperer to post more often.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Elissa L. said...

Great story. But beware of those wishing wells. When we found out my sister was pregnant we all went out to dinner to celebrate, my niece threw a coin in a wishing well and wished that her Mom had twins. Felix and Lili were born 8/22/06!

11:37 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I also wish you'd update more!

I know you're busy with the wishes and all, but here's my coin, put it towards the pinball machine!

plink!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here