Thursday, February 16, 2006

Cat's in the Cradle

The following story is either a sign that my son is indeed a genius, or a sign that my wife is very mean. If it turns out that my wife is very mean, then that also means that my two sons are great cover-uppers. If they are indeed great cover-uppers, then I know that they like my wife more than me. Any way you look at it I lose. Then again, I always lose, so I should not be surprised by any of this. If I have confused anybody so far, then welcome to my life. It is very confusing. Here’s the story.

While driving in the car, the song Cats in The Cradle came on the radio. This song is about a Dad who does not have time for his kid, and doesn’t play ball with him and stuff. Then the kid gets older and does not have time for the dad. It’s a good song, but it is a bit of a bummer song. Anyway, my 5 year old apparently listens to this song, and starts crying. My wife notices tears in his eyes and asks him what is wrong. He says that he does not want this to happen between him and I. She calms him down, and then lets him call me from her cell phone. He gets me on the phone and says that I am like the Cats in The Cradle guy.

Here is my issue with all of this. If indeed my 5 year old got the song. I mean got the intent and meaning behind the song, he is a genius. If he got the song and equated that to his relationship with me, then I have work to do as a father. What are the odds that he indeed got the song? Is it more likely that my wife said, “Hey guys, this song is your dad.” Her saying this put the idea in his head, so he listened, got it, and cried. She swore to me that this did not happen. She claims that she did not say a word, but that Kyle just understood the song and got upset. Could it also be possible, that my boys are covering-up for my wife? She said those mean things about me, but made them swear that they would never tell. I am actually leaning away from this theory because neither of my boys can keep a secret, but maybe this time they did. These are the same two boys that tell on me for everything I do. If I sneak them a cookie or two, after mom said no, they eat the cookies, then squeal like pigs. So, I may have to believe that something different did actually happen. Maybe my son is a genius, and thinks I am an absent father. Maybe my wife is mean, and put those bad thoughts in my kid’s head. Maybe my sons can actually keep a secret, but just not one I tell. Maybe there is a conspiracy against me as a father. Maybe someone from the grassy knoll told Kyle the meaning of the song. There is more to this story, but no one is talking. So, I don’t believe any of them. What do you think?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me give you a Clue. It was your wife, in the mini-van, with the dagger.

10:37 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Cover-Uppers cracks me up. Did he ask who was Little boy blue? Or the man on the moon?

10:52 AM  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

Here's how those things happen to me. My son, nad to some extent my daughters, tend to worry. He is not a full blown pessimist, but he gets himself all worked up and misserable about what "might" happen or "could" happen.

In my case, they would be listening to a son, say Cats in the Cradle" and he would say "What is that song about?"
"A daddy who spent too much time being busy while his son is a little boy."
"Why did he do that?"
"Because he had to work too much."

Then he thinks Daddy works >> I miss Daddy >> I wish Daddy would be home more >> I could wind up like this little boy On come the tears and here comes the phone call.

Not a deliberate knife in the back, but she doesn't mind the extra motivation to come home.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

listening to a song, not "son".

11:20 AM  
Blogger Kelsgarden said...

Well, you could ask you wife to go to work full time and then you could be the stay-at-home-playing-ball-with-the-boys-dad . . . Is there a song about that?

Of course, then he would ask you why you can't get a job and have to stay home.

My bets are on the kid is bright and totally got the song, and an antogonist by nature, but your wife is definitely encouraging him - afterall - who dialed the phone . . .

2:20 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

It took me til I was in my 20's to get that song-I never heard the words I just sang 'em.

I kinda doubt a 5 yr old gets it...and if he does? He's way smarter than me.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I bet it was what Odd Mix said. I mean the kid understands English (right?) and it could also be that he caught the hook of the song in the beginning and started listening. Kids are very surprising so I wouldn't be so much of a doubter...and they are less likely to be cover-upper-er-ers

10:36 PM  
Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

Hmmm...I have to admit, I never heard of the song, so I did a google search read the lyrics and listened to the song...SNIFF SNIFF....Just kidding...Your Kid is a GENIUS! He knows what's up. He's sucker punching you and your wife. You know playing one against the other. Only geniuses know how to do these things ya know!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. LOL

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you are just a big pussy? Any thoughts?

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are finally catching on .... hmmm seems to me that this may all stem back to your secret agent daughter... the conspiracy theory has been evolving over there for quite some time... its got to be a mother-daughter thing and they have finally cracked the boys to be on their side!!! 'Seems to me that stranger things have been laid upon your table......'

I'm going to blame the radio on this one though!!! I mean, come on why not turn back on the ABC songs, and the kids songs!!! instead of letting them rock out to 'Hells Bells'; Jovi, Kid Rock, etc. oh and its just a matter of time that you and the (hot) wife are in the car listening to Country Music..... What do you think the kids will say after those songs? I can see it now... Kyle crying in the back seat, Luke giggling at him... and your wife asks whats wrong... 'my daddy likes his whisky, bought a pick- up, got drunk down by the river, and loves his tractor more than me!!'

-somehow related-

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can someone with obvious time to kill by writing garbage on the internet not have time for his son?

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THINK ITS YOUR WIFE TAKE IT FROM A WOMEN SHE IS TRYIN TO MAKE U FEEL BAD

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should look at this on the bright side either way. First, if your child's a real genius, you should be happy for that. Second, if it was your wife who told your boy 'bout these stuffs, I guess she had only wanted to indirectly remind you of sparing more time for the family, for the good of everyone under the same roof. Anyway, they're your family, not business acquaintances to be suspicious of!

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here