Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I am your father, Luke.

Darth Vader was never able to bring Luke to the Dark Side. It took many movies to show that Luke was better than the bad people. Well, my Luke was born on the Dark Side. That’s right, he is only 4 years old, and is already bad. He’s bad in that sneaky kind of way. He’s bad with a smile on his face. He knows he is being bad, and still does it. His dark side has no boundaries. He is so sly in his badness that Darth Vader would want to leave the Dark Side. Don’t worry, he’s not burn the house down bad, but he is pull your hair out bad.

The biggest problem with his bad is that he is so damn cute while doing it. If he is in trouble, which is often, it never lasts long. He just makes you laugh through it. This is the part where a parent is supposed to be strong and hold their ground, but I can’t. I hope that this does not prevent me from getting father of the year, but I crack every time. If Luke gets in trouble and is sent to his room, he says this, “good, I like my room better than here anyway.” There have even been times that he has done something that we don’t even know he did, but he walks right to his room. When you ask him what he is doing up there he will say, “I just broke mommy’s lamp in the basement, so I put myself in timeout.” This kid is simply a smart-ass. Kyle and Luke could be playing nicely and for no reason, he will slap Kyle in the head as he walks by. I attribute this type of behavior to my wife, cause she was this way as a kid. My mother-in-law has told me so. I was the middle kid hanging in the corner by my self; I never did this type of stuff.

He recently was in trouble for something and I was explaining to him why he could not do that. I told him that if he continued to exhibit this type of behavior, I would take a toy away from him. He chuckled, then said, “oh yeah, if you do that, I will trade you in for another daddy.” How do you counter that? How do you parent this type of wisdom? I laugh, that’s what I do. He’s funny when he’s bad. Some of the funniest Luke moments have come when he is being bad. I guess it is more mischievous than bad, but it certainly isn’t good. Anyway, Luke is indeed on the Dark Side, and I kind of like him there. Well, I like him there for now, but when he grows up I won’t like him there. So my issue is going to be the opposite of Darth Vader. I will have to be saying, “ Leave the Dark Side Luke, leave the Dark Side.”

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you ever playing nicely and your wife walks by and slaps you in the head? I am wondering if that behavior eventually goes away.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! And such great blogging material too - yeah, he'll be sorry if he turns you in for another dad.

My DD use to go sit in her closet at that age, she explained that she "didn't want to subject her family to her moods". Now of course she says, "mom, we need to talk". Just be glad you have boys and that smack on the head solves it.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny!

3:47 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I know you are busy monitoring all the comments over here that is why you stopped commenting on Poop and Boogies.

3:53 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow! Luke is really smart! Where does he even come up with this stuff like trading you in? From tv?

10:52 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

I'm going to enjoy reading your posts as your "Luke" gets older. My son was like that-quick with the wit--now I'm tellin ya....I could pinch him somedays.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, you're in for it. Laughing at him doesn't help the situation, though.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

I love it when I can blame bad behavior on my wife's genetic material. Makes me feel so pure. ;)

11:25 AM  
Blogger ToadyJoe said...

Funny stuff! Sounds just like my baby brother Mike - who is now 22, married, and living in Australia. FYI he's STILL on the Dark Side - but we love him anyway!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here